Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Bad Week in South Bend


And I'm not just talking about Notre Dame losing 28-27 to Tulsa...Earlier in the week, Notre Dame student, Declan Sullivan died when he was filming football practice...He was up above one of the practice fields in a lift...Wednesday had some serious wind whipping through Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio...Suddenly, after a large gust of wind, the lift was on the ground, and Sullivan was near death...By the time he arrived at the hospital, he was gone...

Right away, the blame game was being played...Normally I enjoy what Jason Whitlock writes, but I had a bit of problem with
THIS one...

Whitlock wants Notre Dame to fire head coach Brian Kelly...Right away I was thinking, here we go again...ND haters, looking at this tragedy as a way to take their shots...Notre Dame is one of those places...People like me love it...And other people hate it...Just as I wouldn't mind seeing USC burn to the ground...

But then I read the article...At first I thought, maybe he has a good point...Then I thought more...Sullivan dealt directly with the video coordinator, so he should take some of this blame...Sullivan had also tweeted about how windy, and scary it was...If I'm in that position, I'm coming down...The authorities, the University, and OSHA are investigating the accident...

Saturday, Kelly told the media he had thought and decided they could have a "productive and safe practice."
HERE are his full comments...

Many of the traditional football weekend activities were cancelled, but the game was played...A nice touch by the Tulsa team, they also had the "DS" shamrock decal on their helmets...

So now to the game...I was worried early, when QB Dayne Crist was knocked out of the game with a season ending knee injury, in the first quarter...The first reports are that it is a ruptured Patella Tendon...It was bad enough that TE Kyle Rudolph was already out...Armando Allen was also out with a hip flexor...And may also be out of commission for the season...Crist's other safety valve, Theo Riddick was out with an ankle injury...So in walks freshman QB Tommy Rees, minus a number of key weapons...

So the kid comes in cold, and throws the ball 54 times...He completed 33 of those for 334 yards...He also connected for 4 Touchdowns...But with the good, comes the bad...He also threw 3 interceptions...The third one being the worst...But I'm willing to put some of the blame on Kelly...Hell, now I'm ready to fire him...

With 36 seconds left in the game...The Irish were down 28-27...They were well within Kicker David Ruffer's range...So Kelly calls a pass the corner of the end zone...Rees puts it to doubled covered, WR, Michael Floyd...INTERCEPTION...GAME OVER!

Why the hell didn't you run the ball...Run the ball, get it where the kicker likes it...Kick the field goal, and win the game...Why is that so hard!?!

Yes, the Irish losing on a dipshit play call really means little when you consider a young man lost his life in what was probably a preventable accident...Hell it means little compared to a lot of things...Nonetheless, it pissed me off, and I wrote about it...This is what I do...I also taught my 6 year old son to call Brain Kelly, a fuck-tard, dipshit...Mrs. Beeze was not happy...

Now go hug your kids...




Later, The Beeze.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes - a tough week for the Irish. In the big scheme of things, the accident was something that shouldn't have happened. Someone, (and I don't know who), should have known better.

In terms of the game, the pass at the end of the game also surprised me. Bad call and bad execution.

Just so you know - why are the UC Bearcats doing so bad this year? Kelly didn't leave much on the cupboard. In other words, he coached Dantonio's recruits well, but didn't recruit that well.