Thursday, December 17, 2020

Getting In the Mood (vol. 3)

 


Here we are, day three of this ten day build up to Christmas, with some of my favorite Christmas songs. Our first two days we went non-traditional, but after getting some snow last night, I'm feeling traditional. Oddly, Erie, PA seemed to get the least amount of snow in the state.

So today I'm giving you an old standard but I'm going to post a few versions of it. Why? Because it's one of those classics that has been done different ways and in different styles and they're all good.

 The song, "Sleigh Ride."



How can you not love the Ronettes?

Next we're going back to my old home town which is often knocked and so few people know about the wealth of culture and talent there. The Cleveland Orchestra was always amazing.




Next, since I love Jazz, The Count Basie Orchestra takes their turn.



Next, a genre I feel is unappreciated. Here's The Ventures version.




And of course there is the old faithful, Johnny Mathis.




To be honest, my favorite version is done by Cleveland's own, The Singing Angels. I couldn't find a video version with good audio. You can find it on their album "We Wish You the Merriest" and on streaming services. It takes me right back to decorating the tree with my mom as a kid and we played the album every Christmas morning while we opened presents. I probably listen to their version the least, but those memories make it my favorite.

Enjoy some Christmas music, play in the snow, hug the ones you love. See you tomorrow. 

2 comments:

Nachos Grande said...

We got over two feet here in north central PA, way more snow than usual...probably the biggest snowstorm since '93.

The Beeze (aka: Tim McNeeley) said...

We still have squat. Got rain all last night.