Monday, February 1, 2021

Monday Moaning: SNL, I'm Over It!

 


I have to get this off my chest. Yes, I know SNL has always based much of their content around social and political issues. I'm 45 years old, I remember when the show was not only good, but when it was great. I have never had an issue with the show touching on politics and social issues, but I'm starting to get annoyed with the trending theme of how everything is awful these days. 

I love Kate McKinnon. She funny, a good writer, good actress, but I don't need Kate telling me hard the last year has been. I don't think we need to hear Kate complain about how nothing in America works anymore. I don't need her on-air meltdowns because everything is all fucked up. Yeah her doctor bit was okay and it was funny when she lost it and Colin Jost broke character, and asked "Kate are you alright?" To which she responded "no." That wall being broken down was fun but the show seemed to follow that line and now each episode has a couple skits reminding us how broken or fucked up things are.

I always watched the show for laughs and if you can make a bigger point while getting the laughs, great...But people don't need to be reminded shit blows right now. We're all looking for escapes from that, if only for brief moments.

And we really don't need to be told how bad things are by people who don't have it that bad. Kate McKinnon don't lose her insurance because she's in multiple unions that keep her insured. She still has a nice contract with SNL, so she isn't missing any paychecks. Yeah Quarantine/lockdowns suck. Lack of physical and social contact can suck. I get it people are dealing with even more mental health issues now, then ever before. People in her shoes, have a bank account with big-time movie money in it, giving them many more avenues to get help, unlike countless Americans who are scraping by, hanging on for dear life.

 Yeah, 2020 sucked and 2021 has started out shitty, but something tells me Kate and company haven't had to go through the pain in the ass and embarrassment of having to file for unemployment or standing in line at foodbanks. So when a well-off movie star/comedian keeps losing it, or harping on how bad things are over the last year, that shit kind of rings hollow. 

I don't mind celebrities speaking up for the everyman, trying to support the little guy, but I can't stand celebrities acting like their the everyman, when they have all the means to get through shitty times.

I hope, SNL gets past this phase quickly. I'll tune in this week, not to see if they do, because I doubt they will, they tend beat dead horse. I'll be tuning in solely to see Phoebe Bridgers sing.

Have a week.

1 comment:

B.O.B. said...

I absolutely LOVE this blog. Thank you Beeze for so eloquently saying what I feel.

You know I have exactly ZERO patience for Hollyweird and those twats in the Rotten Apple.

I'm lucky I don't have the problems that so many face on a daily basis, and I know they need help. Maybe if all the assholes woke up and devoted time to causes that actually help people in need - then yeah, I would be onboard. I know hunger is a problem, so is education, drugs/crime, and so many other things, but you and I both know that shit isn't going to get fixed by our "leadership" on both sides - it never will - they simply don't care.

It is going to take all of us standing up and helping. Moving so-called leadership to the side and doing it all at the grass-roots level. "Leadership", not just in politics, but in business and elsewhere is nothing more than a hinderance.