Monday, February 8, 2021

Monday Moaning : Super Recap

 


Tom Brady, back were he belongs...On Top!

It's been awhile since I did a sports blog. Odd since the first ten years I wrote blogs they were 90% sports blogs. But here we are, the day after the "Super Bowl" and we have a familiar face that will now be adding a seventh "Super Bowl" ring. 

Over the years lost of people in the media and well, just plain old, stupid fans have tried to knock Tom Brady and say it was all about Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots Way and their system. For most of his time in New England, Brady had subpar weapons around him and yet he was never out of a game. Bill wasn't throwing those passes or reading the defense's coverage in a split second. I'm not knocking the coach or the system, but too many people try to use that against Brady.  Too many people want to overlook he was a 6th round pick and works harder in the film room and on the practice field than anyone else. Too many people try to say Aaron Rogers is a better QB. How many rings does he have? Yeah, he can throw a ball through a brick wall...So what! Doesn't mean shit when he was throwing the ball top the Buccaneers defense a couple weeks ago! 

Some people get bothered that I'm fan of a player over being a fan of a team, so I'll try to explain. I'm a lifelong Notre Dame fan. My father and I were in South Bend for a Notre Dame vs. Michigan football game. Michigan was alternating QB's. Drew Henson, who got tons of press and WAY TOO MUCH hype and Tom Brady, who got no attention. As we watched the game, my dad says to me "I don't know why they don't leave this number 10 (Brady) in, he's the better Quarterback." Eventually Brady took over full-time in the second half and lead Michigan to a comeback victory. As an Irish fan I was bummed, but as a football fan, I just watched something great, and I was hooked as Tom Brady fan. 

Then you get to his NFL career, where he took over for an injured Drew Bledsoe and never let go of the job. As the years went on Brady often took less money than market value for an elite Quarterback. He left money on the table so the team could spread it around to more of the roster. Numerous times he redid his contract to free up money for the team to sign or resign other players. No other player or coach personified the New England Patriots Way or did more for setting the tone for the team culture, than Tom Brady. So when it came out that Bill Belichick tried to trade Brady a couple years back and then didn't want to resign Brady or pay him what he was worth after 20 years of undying loyalty, there was no doubt I was going to be team Brady. 


For me, this Brady "Super Bowl" win is my favorite. It's a giant fuck you to the haters. (which here in PA, I'm surrounded by them.) A fuck you to the people prematurely trying to push Patrick Mahomes as the next GOAT. Oh, and a big ole, fuck you to Bill Belichick.


You just know that miserable fuck was all kinds of bitter last night!

All this said, football is a team sport and we cannot ignore that the Tampa Bay defense was amazing, playing a nearly perfect game. Not letting the Chiefs score a touchdown is something no one in the world expected.


Now I want o address the folks bitching about the refs. Many talked about the refs making comments like "Brady always gets the calls." Those people are just straight up Brady haters. Then there were what I call typical, idiot, sports fans. Bitch, moaning and complaining about the refs as an excuse for your team playing poorly. Here's the deal fucktards, if your teams defensive backs hold on every fucking play, the refs are going to call the penalty. The Chiefs' DB's are well known for holding, so much so that the analyst, Tony Romo talked about it before a flag even flew. Suck It! Take your loss, you earned it!


Most "Super Bowl" recaps talk about the halftime show and commercials. I will, but it will be brief. 

Halftime: The Weekend. Never heard of him. Had heard a couple songs in commercials or on radio a bit. I wasn't interested. He's no PRINCE! When dude was spinning around with in lighted gold room, I got dizzy, annoyed and walked into the kitchen and heated up some spicy Queso to have with some soft pretzels.

Commercials. Honestly, I didn't pay attention to most. I looked at twitter most the time during commercials. The greatly hyped "Wayne's World" commercial was a bust. We now have another streaming service, as Paramount+  pounded us with commercials. At this point, I have to ask, how long does network TV have since we have  20 streaming services? (BTW, Peacock sucks)

The one commercial that stood out to me Bruce Springsteen's lets bring everyone down, gloomy ad, trying to push political and social unity, while also trying to get us to buy a Jeep. 

Remember when people always got upset about musicians getting commercial success, or their songs being used in commercials. People would bitch about that artist being a sellout. Nope! Bruce Springsteen's Jeep commercial, preying our social and political differences, is selling out! Fuck Jeep and fuck him!

The best commercial, in my opinion, was for diapers! Yep, Huggies won. 




Have a week.

No comments: