Saturday, July 4, 2015

Trevor Bauer's Multiple Batting Stances...And a Question



Friday night the Cleveland Indians began a weekend stand in Pittsburgh, which means the Tribe pitchers get to pretend to be hitters...And in the 7th inning started Trevor Bauer had a little fun at the expense of a few of his teammates and their unique batting stances...

The video won't embed because MLB.com sucks...So here is a LINK

It's just under 4 minutes long, but worth a watch...

....

After the walk, Bauer stayed active on the base-paths...Taking a good lead, and when Pirates reliever, Bastardo bounced one infront of the plate, Bauer jumped out for an extended lead towards second...Cervelli picked it, and cocked back to throw...Bauer dove back to first, covering himself in mud, since it was pouring rain the whole game...As Cervelli came forward and then pulled the throw down, you could see him laughing under his mask...

I have to say, I loved seeing this young kid having fun out there...I loved seeing him working the count, fouls off balls, earning a walk...I loved seeing his energy and taking that big lead, then diving back to first...I can't tell you the last time I've seen a pitcher dive back to a bag...If all pitchers had fun with it like Bauer did, and if they all actually got into game and played like he was on the base-paths, I'd be all for doing away with the DH, league wide...But most pitchers don't put in the time and effort...It bothers me that in 2015 there is still a level of surprise when a pitcher gets a couple hits in a game...When he does more then bunt a runner over...When we aren't saying, 'It's just the pitcher, I'm going for a piss and another beer.'

Besides eliminating fan voting for the All-Star Game, I've always felt, that if I was the Supreme Ruler of Baseball, I'd put the DH in, league wide...But Bauer may be pushing me the other way...Maybe mandatory BP and base-runningdrills for all pitchers and get rid of the DH....

What do you think?

 PS: the Indians and Bauer won 5-2

No comments: