Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday Moaning



Here at You Gab Sports we have guys from all over the country talking about sports and sometimes other stuff too...But to be honest, we are a Boston heavy crew...I know there are people already sick of all the Boston coverage, but shit impacts people differently...So I suspect you'll see a bit more Boston talk here...Sully while trapped in Georgia, is from Boston...Mo, Harry, Lanz, are from Boston...Radatz, and Hal too...Frag is in Vermont, he's a New Englander, so he's close to Boston...And while I'm from Cleveland, my favorite city to go to is Boston, thanks to my wife, who is originally from Beantown...Her sisters and their families are there, so when the events on Monday at the Marathon happened, the first thing I did was call her...Then we reached out to her family there to make sure they were all okay...They are thankfully...

Then came everyone's heightened awareness/fear...Check you local Metro sections from last week...Tuesday was full of bomb scares throughout the country...There were couple scares/evacuations in Cleveland...There were all over...Which proved to us all, that what happened in Boston can happen anywhere...In other parts of the world it happens all the time...Here we don't think about it much...While that may make us look or feel naive, it should also make us feel lucky, that we live somewhere that doesn't have bombs going off every week...Or day...

Then, as I was about to dig into this story about the new Browns owner, Jimmy Haslam's company Pilot Flying J being locked down with warrants from the FBI and IRS, a fertilizer plant in west, Texas exploded....The first video of the explosion was horrifying...The amount of damage was frightening...Multiple blocks just leveled...So far, 15 dead...Still many missing...While this didn't seem to be an attack, it was still a horrible loss of life and shattered families that left me wondering what is going on here?

Then came Thursday...The FBI released pictures of the suspects in the Boston bombings...5 hours later, between 10:00 and 10:30 PM, news broke that a MIT police officer was shot and killed...Then a carjacking...For some reason the news networks chalked it up as a coincidence and didn't think it was linked, and moved on...I thought it was linked, and so did many others on twitter...Links were posted for Boston police scanners...I along with many other were all in...listening to the scanner and tweeting about what we were hearing...There became no doubt in our minds that these were the guys when over the scanners, Watertown police started calling out "Shots fired!"  followed by "They're throwing grenades!"..."Loud explosions!"..."Shots fired!"...Then the worst call of an "Officer down."
...And then there was the call that the had one of the suspects was down...Shortly after that the scanners confirmed it was the bombers when the call went out that the suspect still loose was "The suspect with the white hat, from the pictures."

All the news was breaking on twitter...CNN didn't bother to cover things until well after 1:00 AM...The other networks didn't bother to jump in until almost 3:00 AM...Me, I was listening to the scanner and watching twitter until 4:00AM...Then I got myself a quick 3 hours of sleep before getting the kids to school and myself to work...All day, checking twitter for updates...Boston was locked down looking for this scumbag...

Friday evening came...He was still loose...The lock down was lifted...And thank God...Because a Watertown resident went outside, saw something odd with  his boat...Saw blood...saw a body...And let police know...Police swarmed the yard...More shots were fired...Police and FBI took their time...They were careful, in case this asshole had more explosives...They took him alive...And the news that he was in custody, again came first from twitter...All the TV news guys got off their smart phone, or from their ear piece, being told via twitter, asshole was captured...I had just taken my kids skating...I kept checking my phone...When I saw the BPD tweet, I texted my wife at home, letting her know...She asked how did I know, since she was watching on TV..."Just got the tweet"...A minute or two later she texted back that the TV just announced it...CNN starting to look more and more irrelevant!

While I know people want revenge and would like to see this asshole dead like his brother, I'm glad they took him alive, in the hopes that they git information out of him...The suspects may be caught/dead, but there are still questions...As for myself, the restraint shown by the police is something I wouldn't have had...I would have shot the hell out of his legs, so he could feel just like those he attacked...

And while these stories were unfolding, that little prick in North Korea must be pissed because know one is talking about him anymore...And our politicians voted down a a bill that at least 75-80% of citizens supported...Getting 80% of Americans to agree on anything is bitch, yet the DC douchebags managed to screw that up to...And yes, the conspiracy theorist are out there in full force...Yes, they are back, saying the government is behind the Boston bombings...These people need to calm down...I don't like the government either, but I just can't buy into that stuff...Yeah, they politicize the hell out of horrible stuff, but I can't buy them blowing up innocent kids....So Alex Jones and Glen Beck, shut the fuck up.

As for sports...I don't have much there this week...I watched The New York Rangers knock the New Jersey Devils out of the playoff hunt Sunday...The Rangers seem to be clicking on all cylinders...Good timing...Hopefully they'll ride it through the playoffs...

But the sports highlight came when I was taking a break from the news...Little Ms. Molls working on her baseball swing already!



That can always take your mind off the bad shit...



Saturday Boston celebrated their first responders, their wounded, their dead, their unity as a city and as Americans...And much of the country celebrated with them...The best way to celebrate, is keep on going...And I gotta get going...I'm a single dad for the first half of the week, as Mrs. Beeze is in Pittsburgh for some training for her new job...

It would be easy to play a standard "Boston" song here...But I'll give some of the young rockers coming out of Beantown...Mean Creek, with two members who grew up in Watertown...

Have a week...I'll try to find you "Left of the Dial."




No comments: