Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Mount Union Purple Raiders...Best College Football Team Around






That's right...I said it...The Mount Union Purple Raiders are the best college football team around...I'm not saying that they're going to beat the likes of USC, or Florida...or any of the big boys...although they may be able to take my beloved Fighting Irish....But here let me make my case for this little school in Alliance, Ohio.
--
The Purple Raiders ranked #1, (14-0) have won 9 Division-3 National Championships..."93, '96, '97, '98, '00, '01, '02, '05, and '06....This weekend they go for number 10. They will face the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater for the 4th consecutive year in the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl. (Dec. 20th...11:00AM)
--
Mount Union beat UW-Whitewater 35-28 in '05, and 35-16 in '06...The Warhawks beat the Purple Raiders 31-21 in '07.
--
Coach Larry Kehres is in his 23rd season at Mount Union and has a career record of 260-21-3 with a .923 winning percentage. His teams have won 18 Ohio Athletic Conference Championships....'86, '90, '92-'07....Under Kehres the Purple Raiders have had 16 undefeated seasons....'86, '90, '92, '93, '95-'04, '06, '07. Since 1990, his teams have had 17 playoff appearances, with a 230-11-1 record, and a .956 winning percentage.
--
Kekres' team plays multiple pro-set formations on offense, and uses a 4-2-5 defense.
--
Senior QB, Greg Micheli is a finalist for the Gagliardi Trophy, given to the best all-around D-3 football player...if he wins he will be the fifth Mount Union player to win it. The others....Jim Ballard ('93)...Bill Borchert ('97)...Chuck Moore ('01)...Dan Pugh ('02).
--
Micheli, who has a double major in Physics, and Math, is also an Academic All-American, and one of 15 finalists (all divisions), for the Draddy Trophy, which is known as the "Academic Heisman".
--
RB Nate Kmic's career 129 touchdowns and 774 points is more than any player at any level, in college football history. His 42 rushing, and 43 total touchdowns this season are the most in college football history. And his 2702 rushing yards this season is a new D-3 record.
--
I don't know...they sound pretty bad-a$$ to me.
--
Go Purple Raiders!!!
--
Later, The BEEZE.

7 comments:

David Funk said...

That's some pretty impressive numbers. I admire someone that talks about the lesser-known programs that you seldom read about outside the local area. I'm a little bit familar with them, but was unaware of the dominance you posted about here. Great stuff.

Nice job as always BEEZE!

The Beeze (aka: Tim McNeeley) said...

Thanks David...They really are imprssive...I've always been impressed that the coach, Kehres hasn't left for a bigger job...He's had some offers over the years, buthe has always chosen to stay.

Mind of MadMan said...

Very well read.. It is nice to honor the guys who have deserved it..
BCS
Blowing Chunky Shit

Anonymous said...

SWEET, those uniforms & just the fact they wear purple ROCKS IT hard in my book HA!

bdubsmitty said...

If you think they look good on paper, you should watch them play. I have seen them play on tv before in the D-III playoffs (yeah, I watch the D-III playoffs when they're on tv) and they are a very good football team. I didn't know they had won all those titles though, I'm glad you pointed that out.

Like you said, I know they won't take down USC or Florida, but I bet they could take on some of the lesser quality D-I teams (Like Duke for example) and beat them.

The Beeze (aka: Tim McNeeley) said...

MadMan, Blowing Chunky Shit...you're hilarious.

CK, Any team that wears purple, let alone calls themselves the Purple Raiders, better be able to kick some ass, and Mount union does.

tcp, We have a local sports network that shows all their games, I always watch them...nothing wrong with watching D-3 football.

The Beeze (aka: Tim McNeeley) said...

I just read that Micheli won the Gagliardi Trophy...Nice.