Monday, April 13, 2015

Monday Moaning


 
Well that looks tasty!

It's a beautiful Monday...Today I start a week of vacation from work...No real plans, just getting stuff done that needs to get done, and I had to use the time before I lost it...Also, today is Mrs. Beeze and my 14 year anniversary...We've made it 14 years and she hasn't killed me yet...I most be doing something right! I know she hasn't stuck around for all my riches, because I'm fucking broke!

-As I predicted two weeks ago, the NCAA Hockey Championship came down to an all New England showdown, as Providence took on Boston University at the TD Garden in Boston...A month ago I wrote about talented BU freshman, Jack Eichel, who won the Hobey Baker, (Hockey Heisman) and how he'll be the number two player taken in the NHL draft this year...and how no one should be upset about landing this kid...In every game of the tourney, the 18 year old Eichel was the best player on the ice...

But Saturday night, as the championship game moved through the third period, BU leading 3-2, it became the tale of two goalies...Boston U.'s Matt O'Connor, and Providence's John Gillies...Gillies the top U.S. Goaltending prospect, drafted by the Calgary Flames has been college hockey's elite goalie...O'Connor has been solid, and a workhorse for BU, but it was seen more then once in the tourney that O'Connor had issues when handling the puck...He let in a fluke goal in the semifinal after mishandling the puck behind the goal...And Saturday, another fluke play turned the tide in the championship...

O'Connor had caught a shot in his glove, and was looking to drop it at the side of the goal for a defenseman, and lost it too soon, and the puck bounced between his legs, and into the goal...3-3 tie...And the kid was visibly shaken...



Barry Melrose sat in the booth suggesting the Friars just keep throwing the puck on net, or dumping it in, and make the shaken goalie handle it...It didn't take long for Providence long to ride the momentum, and go ahead 4-3...From there, the Friars kept grinding and gaining confidence, as Gillies made save after save...BU had a huge advantage winning face-offs, but late in the third period, Providence took control of that as well...And Gillies and his 49 saves bested O'Connor and his 39 saves leading the Providence Friars to the NCAA title...


Talent-wise, I would take BU any day, but a little momentum and a great goalie go a long way...I felt terrible for O'Connor...I hope the kid can get past this...Fucking nightmares!

Now I'm wondering will Eichel stick around with his young, talented Terrier teammates, or will he dash for the NHL?


-In NHL news, the Buffalo Sabres who have a great shot at landing Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel, fired head coach Ted Nolan...AGAIN...Yes, they have fired Nolan before...The first time it was an unjust firing, and while they sucked this year, and actually looked like they were tanking late in the year, I can't blame that all on the coach...Maybe look at the GM who gave him a pile of shit for a team...Some bad contracts, traded away their franchise goalie last year, and brought in 4 different teams backups to try and be the guy...3rd liners and a couple 20 year olds who you haven't even let  hit their full potential yet, aren't going to get it done...If you're rebuilding, rebuild...Give the guy time to get them there...If you're rebuilding, keeping a consistent coaching staff should be a key starting point...The Buffalo Sabres, are the Cleveland Browns of Hockey!

-Since its all been hockey so far, I thought I'd share this funny bit Jimmy Fallon did this week...





-Baseball season has started...And Friday was the Home Opener here in Cleveland...It's become an unofficial holiday here, just like I'm sure it is in many other cities...With every opening day comes in Cleveland comes a handful of protesters...LITERALLY  a  HANDFUL...Protesting the partially the Indians name, but mostly, the Chief Wahoo logo...Now while the organization says they won't get rid of the Chief, (because they know how many fans will be pissed) they have been slowly scaling him back...First with a script I and now the block C...Chief Wahoo is awesome...If they cave I'll be pissed...My wife is one of the most liberal human beings alive, and she doesn't get why this handful of people have an issue with the Chief...

But if it's that big of deal, feel free to not offend me by making a smiling white guy the new logo...The Cleveland Caucasians!



Go White Boys!


Have a week!

No comments: