Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Beeze Reviews "The Dark Knight Rises"


The opening weekend of "The Dark Knight Rises" has a lofty shadow hanging over it, after the shooting in Colorado, during a midnight showing...As I watched the news Friday morning, while getting ready for work, I couldn't believe what I was seeing...Actually I could believe it, as tragedies like this seem to be happening more and more...But I was still shocked and saddened...

My wife and I were planning on going to a 6:40 PM Friday showing...We had the tickets, and we had a sitter lined up...While I was at work, I was fearing my wife would be hesitant to go...But she wasn't...We don't waste an evening when we have a sitter lined up...And we don't waste money on movie tickets we aren't going to use...Hell, if we didn't go, the terrorists would have won...Fuck that!

Spoiler Alert: I'll try not to ruin shit for you, but I may slip...

So let's get to the third installment of Christopher Nolan's take on Batman..."Batman Begins" was awesome, and it finely gave us real depth into Batman, and Bruce Wayne..."The Dark Knight" took us deeper into the story, not just of Batman,/Wayne, but Gotham City...And we all saw Heath Ledger's portrayal of "The Joker" steal the show...

Now we come to "The Dark Knight Rises"...8 years later, Gotham City has flourished, and Batman has been silent...Until a bad ass named Bane shows up, and takes control of Gotham City...The movie has plenty of action...It is also very dark...The amount of killing is pretty high...And about 95% of the movie is a downer...

As far as the cast goes...Christian Bale, was as he has been throughout the series...Michael Caine spent most of his onscreen time crying, and it was annoying...Morgan Freeman was Morgan Freeman...He's the same fucking guy in everything...Gary Oldman, as Police Commissioner, Jim Gordon, who has been great in all the movies, was great again...Showing the inner struggle of living with a lie for the last eight years, and doing everything he can to make things right, and save his city...

Then there was Tom Hardy, as Bane...Let me just say this...It's hard to talk about some one's acting performance, when 90% of their face is covered...Especially all of their mouth area...There's only so much Hardy could do with his eyes...Then there was the fact that the mask made it hard to understand half of what he was saying...I was pleased with how they used the character of Bane, keeping him closer to what he was in the comics, then how he was used in another, horrible movie version...

To me, Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing Officer Blake, was the key to this movie...His performance out shined the headliners, as his character throughout the movie was Gotham City's Moral Compass...

There was one other character, who my wife, and I felt stole the show...Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Cat Woman...


First of all, she is sexy as hell...While the suit is nothing like what Michelle Pfeiffer wore back in the day...Hathaway's more functional outfit looked spectacular on her body...But then there was sleekness, and confidence she portrayed...As well as most of the limited humor there was in the movie...And there is something sexy about watching a hot woman beat dudes asses...But this isn't just me being a horny pig...When we were leaving the theater, and talking about it, my wife said, "She was the best one in it!"

It's actually sad that this is Nolan's last one, because it would have been great to see her in another...Yes, Nolan wrapped things up...But he did leave an opening for some one else to pick up where he left off, instead of another, God forsaken reboot...

I planned on writing this last night, but I just couldn't...I'm not sure how I feel about it...I liked it, but I was left unsatisfied...Let me put it this way...I saw "The Avengers" opening weekend...I saw it 2 more times in the theater...I wouldn't spend the money to see this in the theater again...Yes, it looks great on the big screen, but feeling unsatisfied will keep me from spending my money at the theaters...

Later, The Beeze.

2 comments:

Logan Hunter said...

I'm somewhat of a strange one when it comes to the Batman flicks. I actually like Batman Begins the best. But it is always the supporting roles that steal the thunder. Neeson did it in Begins. Aaron Eckhardg should have gotten more praise for his portrayal of Dent/TwoFace. And you were right, Levitt was the class of this one.

I would have liked if they stuck closer to the comic, in making Batman run the gauntlet of villians before getting to Bane, weak and tired. Still, it was great not to see him CGI'd or using an inflatable clown suit to miscle him up.

Worth the watch, but I expected more.

The Beeze (aka: Tim McNeeley) said...

Batman Begins was my favorite too...I would have loved to seen more characters before Bane too...But I was happy with how they did Bane...And Nolan made it clear he wanted out, and wanted to wrap it up.