Friday, July 11, 2014

Safe or Unsafe?



That's the question I've been tossing around in my head since last night...

The dog, Finnegan was a little extra hyper after I got home from work...So I got him on his leash, we took out a bag of garbage, and then went for a walk around the block...It was after 12:30 AM...As we got to the corner, there was a police car slowly rolling down the street...He stopped and watched us as we turned the corner to go around the block...I suddenly lost the feeling of being comfortable in my neighborhood...

But why? Shouldn't I feel safe when I see a police car patrolling down my street?  I think so...But is slow rolling down my street because there has been an uptick in crime in my community? That doesn't make me feel better...Why was he stopped and watching me...Finnegan is a tiny little 10 pound dog...It's not like he's the ideal partner to commit crimes with...Did Johnny Law think walking the dog was just a cover to being casing the homes in my area?  Maybe, but it seems fucking stupid to me...But I'm not a cop, I'm not in their head...I don't know and see what they do...

As I headed down the next block, I got increasingly annoyed...I wasn't seeing him come around the corner in front of me or behind me...Was there really a problem on my street...Then I got to the corner...There he was, sitting at the end of my street...He stayed there until I unlocked my front door, and Finnegan and I entered the house...(We're the second from the corner)...What the fuck! Sorry, but I, a chubby, short guy in a green ND cap, t-shirt and shorts, along with my tiny dog, don't look like criminals...

I was told years ago to not trust cops...Who told me this? A high ranking member of the Cleveland police department, a former cop, and my father...And I'll always trust what my dad says...It was made clear to me that some are just assholes who love to power trip and fuck with people...I know that's not all of them...But as the years have gone on, I've become more and more un-trusting...As a kid seeing a police officer made me feel secure...Now it just brings out fear...Fear that this guy is going to try and mess with me...And fear that what I thought was safe, is now unsafe...

Is this just me?

Seriously, I'm looking for answers...

The Beeze.

No comments: