Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Quality and Inequality


Okay, this is not something I would normally write about...I'm not a Soccer fan...But there was a lot of rumbling Tuesday evening about the U.S. Women's Soccer Team...I've heard great deal of talk about their amazing run...And I saw their celebrations...Now this first part isn't an anti-American, anti-patriotism rant...This is just my personal, honest view...

We have a tenancy in this country, during international competition, to make our teams out to be the underdog...With the exception of our Olympic Basketball team...Seriously, America's international sports teams are not underdogs...Well, except the U.S. Men's Soccer team (ranked 27thin the world)...But the media hype has made it out like this Women's Soccer team was a fucking surprise...No!  If Japan would have beat them, then the world would have been shocked...So quit acting like it was an amazing thing we just saw...If you actually tuned in...Everyone says they did but please...I turned that crap off after the 4th goal went in from mid-field...That Japanese goalie should have just off'ed herself after that mess!

Now, comes the second part of the story...And this isn't an anti-women rant...or men are evil rant...

It broke today that female Soccer players make squat compared to the male soccer players...Apparently the Men's World Cup winner, Germany, earned a prize of $35 million, while the U.S. Women won $2 million...That's a pretty fucking big difference...Now I don't know what kind of numbers men's soccer drew vs. women's soccer in the World Cup...But it's kind of tough to justify that big of a gap...

But then the story spun further...Then everyone started talking about what the pay difference was for men and women in pro soccer...Which is what these players do during the 4 year spans between the World Cup...The average yearly pay for men in pro soccer is $305,809....The average for women is between $14,000 and $16,000...Again, that is a brutal difference...But part of that difference is Women's pro Soccer does not draw...There are a good number of the men's teams that draw very well...The average MLS attendance is a pubic hair below 21,000...The average attendance in the NWSL is 4,804...So it's like this ladies...If you put asses in the seats, you'll get more money in your bank accounts...

Then you mix in endorsement deals and shit...

I can honestly tell you, other then that dude married to a Spice Girl, I haven't seen much of male soccer players trying to sell me shit...But I have seen Alex Morgan trying to sell me stuff...















And I bet she got paid to be in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue...



And I'd buy shit from her before I would from Spice Boy!

Thanks to her other dealings...Dealings because of Soccer and a good body, last year Morgan made over a million dollars...

So, while there is a huge inequality in pay between men and women's soccer...At the Professional level, due to attendance I see it's justification...Also, I would say there are less advertisers using dudes instead of T&A to sell us stuff...So maybe it's all a wash!


No comments: