Monday, July 20, 2020

Monday Moaning (Open Letter to Friends)



It was a lovely sunset last night here in Erie, PA last night...



After a day of high heat and afternoon and early evening thunderstorms, the sky looked amazing...


So I snapped some pictures from my front porch with my phone and posted them on Instagram and Facebook....

Over the course of the evening the post of sunset pics kept getting views and likes...It got me thinking...I've been repeatedly suspended on Twitter...The last one for calling Betsy DeVos a twat and saying her ignorant ass should be executed...For a period of time I was shadow banned on Instagram...That's when they don't lock you out, or suspend you, but they don't like what you are doing so make it hard for people to find you and slow down things from getting into your followers' feed...

So since Instagram and Facebook are in bed together, I was wondering if Facebook has been doing the same to me...My sunset pics get plenty of views, and likes and whatnot...But since the murder of George Floyd, my social media has become 98% speaking up for Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ rights, calling out racists, ranting about the corruption of government, screaming about the Trump Crime Family, bitching about COVID-19 deniers, and assholes who won't wear masks, hating on those traitors who wave Nazi and Confederate flags, the 2nd Amendment lovers who refuse to standup for the us 1st Amendment lovers...and so on...

As the sunset pics continue to rack up likes, the mural of Harriet Tubman with a blurb calling Kanye West an Asshole got 5 likes...Posts about Trump's Secret Police assaulting and kidnapping protesters in Portland get 2-6 likes and maybe 1 comment...Videos of Trump speaking ignorantly and incoherently, spewing lies and stupidity get 1-2 interactions...

So, is Facebook shadow banning me? Or do I have a friends list full of people who don't give a fuck about these things going on in out country?  I get it, lots of people have social media to escape the everyday bullshit...Some have it solely to share pics of kids or grandkids and life events...Or just some funny meme to help us all get through this fucked up mess with a laugh...It's a great communication tool...I have a great friend that posts a question every day...From important life event shit to what crappy movie do you love...And it gets a bunch of us to answer and have a little back and forth with each other, some of us strangers...

I didn't always go political on social media, I mixed it in here and there but it wasn't full blown...I changed...I can't stand what my country has become...I can't stand what it was and so many didn't know the history...I want it to be better for my kids, and grandkids...I want it to be better for your kids and grandkids...I want us to actually be able to have grandkids and them to have a bright future in this country...So I'm not going to shut up and just post happy stuff, I'm going to keep sharing the shit too...And I'm not apologizing if you don't like it...There is an unfollow/unfriend button...You won't be the first to use it...

I'll close with a little meme for ya...




Have a week!