Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday Moaning



So, you may have noticed that my blogging has slacked off...I use to post at least three times a week...Not so much anymore...I won't lie, there are times I want to write, but there are times that I think about it, and I say, "ahhhh, screw it!"  I'll also say this...Back in late December, 2012 I saw and heard a lot of people that were thrilled 2012 was ending...They hated that year...No me...I loved it...2013 on the other hand has sucked ass...My wife and I are looking forward to 2014...That is after the financial gauntlet that his December passes...Both the girls birthdays and Christmas...Yeah, December gets tight...

This year we dealt with a bunch of crap with my wife's parents...Her father had multiple strokes...His Dementia has gone wild...He's a totally different person now...Her mom losing her mind, from dealing with him...Getting them settled into an assisted living place...We've burned up our vacation time and money dealing with that stuff...The last step for awhile hopefully was taken care of this past week...My wife sold her parents house...There was some sadness mixed with relief...

Then we got a notice from the city...We've been cited for our garage...The roof started ripping off back during the Ohio version of "Super Storm Sandy"...We have an asshole neighbor who has complained before...He also complained about our hedge...The city said it needs to be shorter than 8 feet...This pisses me off because asshole neighbor has 10 foot tall hedge...The Beeze will be making some calls this week...Too bad one will be to a roofer...

There is other stuff on my mind...Work related stuff....The Beeze is feeling unappreciated after almost 20 years with this company...These fuckers have been cheap with the cash, and clearly loyalty doesn't matter anymore...So, I been looking...And I've had offers...The wife and I are weighing the options and something will be settled on soon...

With that all said, writing has fallen by the wayside...But Friday I found a few things that caught my interest and shared them HERE...

-So I cam across this Sunday evening...


 
 
Yep...Those are your highest paid public employees...In 27 states it a head football coach...13 states it a head basketball coach...College Presidents took 5 states...Pretty scary...Even scarier when I read this....Is anyone surprised that the top dog in Nevada is a Medical School Plastic Surgeon!?! Holy Shit, even in Hawaii it's a football coach...I thought the State would have had Dog the Bounty Hunter on the payroll by now!

"This revenue rarely makes its way back to the general funds of these universities. Looking at data from 2011-2012, athletic departments at 99 major schools lost an average of $5 million once you take out revenue generated from “student fees” and “university subsidies.” If you take out “contributions and donations”’some of which might have gone to the universities had they not been lavished on the athletic departments’this drops to an average loss of $17 million, with just one school (Army) in the black. All this football/basketball revenue is sucked up by coach and AD salaries, by administrative and facility costs, and by the athletic department’s non-revenue generating sports; it’s not like it’s going to microscopes and Bunsen burners."

So why exactly are our tax dollars going to pay these guys?

"Far exceeding these base salaries is the “additional compensation” that almost all of these coaches receive, which is tied to media appearances, apparel contracts, and fundraising. While this compensation does not come directly from the state fund it is guaranteed in the coaches’ contracts; if revenue falls short, the school’and thus the state’is on the hook to cover the difference."

More and more I find myself being turned off by the world of college sports...I hate saying that because I have always loved college football, hockey, and baseball...I just don't know anymore...College Coaches are getting millions, and communities and cities have to keep laying off Police and Firefighters, and cutting elementary school programs...But fuck it, Pay Urban Meyer a fuck-ton to coach football, while the department he works for loses money...AWESOME!

-So now that I bagged on big-time college football...Let me talk about some bad news from Notre Dame...A private school, so you folks in Indiana can't be pissed about how they spend money!

The Irish's starting outside linebacker, Danny Spond has retired from Football...After missing the first two games last year while hospitalized with migraine headaches and what was thought to be concussion symptoms, Spond played the rest of the year, and caught the attention of NFL scouts...Many were looking forward to what Spond would do in his senior season, and had high hopes...

When it was announced, it was said Spond was doing so for medical reasons...All the assumptions have it being a concussion thing, but now that is being squashed...Spond was seen walking into the facility with a cane, so the reason why is still unclear, and Irish fans are waiting for Spond to explain...Coach Brian Kelly said, "He loves his teammates, but I think he did what was in his best interest for his future." Kelly also said Spond, who was Kelly's first committed recruit, "He'll be with us every day. He'll travel with us. He'll help coach."

I hope Health-wise Spond will be okay...He'll be missed on that Defense...It will fall on Junior Ben Councell and  Freshman Jaylon Smith to pick up the slack at OLB...

-Now last week I promised some college football posts were on the way...That still is going to happen...I've been doing some homework...This week my Heisman preview/prediction will go up...And just a teaser for ya...Johnny Football isn't in my top 5...That's how this year is gonna go!

That's it for now...

Have a week...

The Beeze.

1 comment:

Buster McNamara said...

Yep, sometimes it takes willpower to hit those keys and type. Good job by ND to keep the injured player involved.