Sunday, December 22, 2013

Monday Moaning (The Beeze's Top 10 Christmas Songs)



This week the normal Monday Moaning is taking a break...It's just before Christmas and I've been all wrapped up in getting things ready for Christmas...We have our annual Christmas Eve party...Plus I have to pick up the Christmas dinner duties because my Mom was slowed down by some health issues...Don't worry, she's fine...Minor thing, but it threw my folks a wrinkle...My brothers aren't in any position to pick up the slack, so it's on us...

Anyways I've spent no time on sports between work, and the Christmas prep...So, I'm going with music...Music as always been big in my life...Ever since I was a kid...My Mom teaching me about the Beatles and Stones...My dad teaching me about Blues and Jazz...Then my older brothers brought in their influences...I've been hooked on music forever...So this week, since I've been sharing different Christmas song each week, we'll get into the full list...Well, at least the top 10....

1. The Kinks- Father Christmas....The poor kids anthem, and a classic Kinks riff...





2. Billy Squier- Christmas is a Time to Say I Love You...Showing my age...The days when MTV played music...Totally underrated Christmas song...





3. Dead Sara- Snow in Los Angeles...This is a new one...Released last year just after I had done a list of Christmas songs...This one shot up right away on my list...





4. Pearl Jam- Let Me Sleep (It's Christmas Time) Back in the early '90s none of us expected  these guys to do a Christmas song, but they did, and it's excellent...





5.  "Blue Christmas"  This one is an old standard...It always makes me think of those I wish were still with us...I'm sure there are plenty of people feeling this year...I don't like Elvis...And since my favorite band did it a couple years ago, I'll go with them...Our Lady Peace...





6. The Pretenders- 2000 Miles...I just flat-out love this song...My favorite song from the Pretenders...





7. Daniel Mustard- Since Santa Ain't Coming...I shared this a couple weeks ago...An anti-Christmas song, from a guy who just months before recoding it was homeless...





8. Let it Snow...Another old standard...You gotta love how Dean could lay it down...And I have to say, the Rat Pack Christmas album is awesome...





9. Silent Night....I'm going with the Sarah McLachlan version...But there are so many great versions, it's hard to screw up...If you really want to get depressed check out the Lisa Hannigan version...Uhgg





10. Chris Cornell- Ave Maria...Everyone knew the Soundgarden front man could sing, but when he did this for 1997's  "A Very Special Christmas Volume 3" everyone was blown away to hear just how amazing of a singer he is...





That's it...What do you think?  What are your favorite Christmas songs?

If you're interested, here's my LIST of the 15 top Christmas Movies...

Have a week...And a Merry Christmas!

The Beeze.

No comments: