Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Beeze's Top 15 Christmas Movies


 
 
I have seen few articles on the best Christmas Movies...And some make me crazy, and some remind me of movies I forgot about...So I thought I would take the time to rattle off my top 15 Christmas movies...Everyone one does top 10, 20, and 25 lists...So screw it, I'm doing 15...I'm not going to get long winded about each one...Most are classics, and I doubt you need a recap of the film...Also this list won't include the old animated hour long TV flicks...If it did, I would have "The Year Without Santa Claus" in here without a doubt...

1. "A Christmas Story"   -How could it not be?  Not just because I'm from Cleveland and there was a bunch of the movie shot here...It's just a great flick that seems so relatable...No matter what age or generation...My kids love it as much as I do...And I love it as much as my Dad does...It takes us back to a better time...Where things seemed more pure and innocent...Even if they weren't we didn't have 24 hour coverage of everything, with instant everything...

2. "It's a Wonderful Life"  -Again, a classic, that takes us back to a better time...Also a movie that brought in some religion...I'm not the most religious guy, but these days most TV shows and movies are afraid to mix in any type of religious views...Plus Donna Reed was in my childhood spank bank!

3. "Scrooged"   -The 1988 "modern" version of the story of Scrooge...Bill Murray plays a TV exec that needs a holiday wake up call...This has always been one of my favorites ever since my oldest brother turned me on to it...Watching this on Christmas Eve while wrapping presents is still a tradition he upholds...

4. "Die Hard"   -Once the action gets going, people always forget that this is a Christmas movie...John McClane is visiting his wife at her company Christmas party when all hell breaks loose...And then we get to see the greatest American action hero, take care of business...



5. "Christmas in Connecticut"  Honestly, I don't know why I love this movie, but do...My mom turned me onto it on year when I was kid...My brothers were older and out for the evening..My Dad was working...It was just us decorating the tree, eating Chinese food, and she popped this flick on...Another old, black and white film, taking us back in time...Comedy and romance and Christmas...


It's rarely on TV...Normally once or twice during the season, and at least one of those is a odd time slot...It's on my DVR, and the wife bought me a copy a couple years ago...

6.  "Home Alone"   -Maybe this is too high, but it's still fun to watch...The kids love it, and always find time to watch it throughout the year...Not just Christmas time...We all had the little bit inside of us that wished we could get left home alone, and do just what we wanted...Let alone take down a couple of bad guys...

7. "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"   -Without a doubt my favorite of the "Vacation" movies...Chevy Chase at his best, being the family man that we all hope were not, but wish we had a little bit more of his heart in us....So many great lines in this!

8. "Miracle on 34th Street" (the original)  -Again we journey back in time...Maybe I'm an old soul, because I love these old black and white classics...The movie telling us to believe long before the "Polar Express."

9.  "The Santa Clause"   -Who knew Tim Allen would make such great Santa...Honestly, it's not greatest movie, but it's one that the kids love for us all to watch together...So I'm holding on to those times as long as I can...

10.  "A Christmas Carol"  (the George C. Scott one)  The classic Dickens tale, done perfectly...

11.  "Elf "   - When this came out, I didn't expect to like it...I was a little burned out on the whole wacky Will Ferrell thing...But shit he was funny...Lots of laughs, and lots of Christmas spirit...And lots of spaghetti with maple syrup!

12.  "The Family Man"    -Nicholas Cage in a "It's a Wonderful Life" reversal of sorts...Douchebag Cage gets a taste of the life he could have had, had his choices not taken him down another path...And now what life does he want?  Plus Tea Leoni is sexy!



13. "Bad Santa"  -Yeah, of course this makes my list...This movie just increase my wanting to be a mall Santa...Billy Bob just being a drunk, horn dog, foul mouthed crook is good enough...But then he gets hit with some real Christmas spirit too...Gotta be on  my list...

14.  "Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas"  -I just loved this so much as a little kid...I can't take it off my list...Just fond memories of these little muppets...Maybe because music was big in our house...

 
 
 
15.  "Love Actually"   -Total chick flick I know...I never would have seen it, had it not been for my wife...But guess what?  It's good...It's funny...It's sad...It's happy...It's Christmas...Seriously, I'm surprised at how much I actually can tolerate it, let alone like it...




That's the list...What's yours like?

Merry Christmas, The Beeze.

1 comment:

ihatemillen said...

Sweet list... I dig Family Man... movie I went to with the wife on our first date. Bad Santa would have to be my #2... of course second to A Christmas Story.