Monday, October 5, 2009

Is Fishing a Sport?

Seriously...I'm asking...For quite some time people have asked if certain things are sports...Is bowling a sport...Is Golf a sport...Is Auto Racing a sport...Is Fishing a sport...

When I was younger I would say none of them are...I thought they were activities...But I tried playing Golf...It was f**king ugly...Bowling I always thought of as a game...But I could except it as a sport...Because you're competing against some one else...So I guess the same would go for Auto Racing...

Recently the topic of Fishing came up on the Opie & Anthony show...I know they're show isn't every one's cup of tea...But for me...it hits the spot...So they're talking about fishing...A couple of callers chime in with their thoughts...Eventually this sets off Comedian Jim Norton, who is a member of the show....About 4 and half minutes into this clip Norton loses it on the caller...Telling him fishing isn't a sport...Repeatedly..."You have a hook and the fish has nothing but hunger...How is that a sport?"





I use to fish when I was kid...Then I realized I wasn't going to get blown if I was standing in the river trying catch something I was allergic to...

I'll agree with Jimmy...Fishing isn't a sport...And if you're offended by this in any way...Please, get over yourself...

Later, The Beeze.

5 comments:

aking said...

Ok slightly random post but I like it. No fishing is not a sport and neither are bowling, golf or car driving around in circles. Until they have to sprint to the next hole or run past someone to roll the ball or do something other than driving around in a circle for hours they are not sports. And that's all I have to say about that. Good Day.

Anonymous said...

Now that dialogue was a hoot ... a must listen for everyone!

I like the lines about punching the fish & trimming the bush.

Still LMAO

The Beeze (aka: Tim McNeeley) said...

Yeah aking, slightly random...But I felt it needed to be said...And it got you in a frenzy!

Frank, Glad I wasn't alone in enjoying this one!

3rdStoneFromTheSun said...

if fishing is a sport, then I guess poker and such are too

guess the term "sport" is broad and wide

funny stuff

NFL Coach said...

Fishing is a recreation. However, by your "competing against some one else" definition. Then, tournament fishing, would be a sport.