Tuesday, July 7, 2020

You Can't Make Me Watch Hamilton




So, "Hamilton"...The smash hit Broadway show has surrounded in critical acclaim since 2015 has taken things to the next level as it is now streaming on Disney+....

I haven't had the chance to see the Live Stage show and I haven't watched it yet, now that it's streaming...Some who know me my be surprised by this...I love theater...I was a "theater kid" in high school...Not acting, singing, dancing...Behind the scenes...Set construction, lighting, rigging, set changes, stage managing...I still love live theater...

So why haven't I seen "Hamilton" yet?  Honestly...I don't want to...And I have a few reasons...

It's not just that I know all I need to know about Alexander Hamilton after the report I did at St. James Elementary School...The Encyclopedia Britannica and I crushed it! Got an "A"....

It's not that I don't like Musicals....I love Musicals...It's not that I don't like the style of music...I'm fine with all music, as long as it isn't Country...I hate Musical Movies..."Grease"...Hate it!   I love West Side Story"...I love "Guys and Dolls"...On a stage...On a screen...Movie screen or my TV screen, I hate them all...Sitting in a theater, watching living and breathing people who I can physically touch before security tackles me and drags me out, is great...There is a realness to it, where it doesn't seem fucked up seeing people break into song...Yes, suspending reality and people breaking into song makes sense and works for me in a live, in person setting...Maybe I'm fucked up in the head, but I can't do that suspending of reality when watching it on 60-inch TV screen...Sinatra breaks into on my TV and I'm rolling my eyes and annoyed...

Then there's The "Wayne's World" Effect...That's what I call it...Almost always when something gets hyped intensely, once I get around to seeing it, I'm let down...Or just flat-out hate it...The first time I remember it happening on a grand scale was "Wayne's World"....Always enjoyed the SNL skits, and was semi-excited to see the movie...Then it came out and the world was raving...And then "Bohemian Rhapsody" (the song) was playing all the time on MTV with a video filled with "Wayne's World" clips....Yes, MTV, Music Television played music many, many, many years ago...The was merch everywhere, the sequel was getting hyped before the first one was even out of the theaters...So, I finally get to see the movie...And not only was I letdown, I thought it sucked...All these years later, I still think it sucks!

I also feel the same about "The Matrix" and "The Blair Witch Project"...

It was a bad movie...If I have a reason, I'll sit through a bad movie...I'll sit through it more than once...I saw "Nightmare on Elm Street 4" six times in the theater...It was a bad movie...But the popcorn hand-jobs were good...




Say what you want about those Catholic School girls...But if you found one that was a goer, you went to any shitty movie just be in the dark with her...


Clearly I digressed....


So, because of the hype-machine, I'm fearing I'll be letdown by "Hamilton"...The "Wayne's World" Effect...

Musical Theater, is good...Musical Movies, suck...

Hey, for everyone who has seen it...Is Katherine Ryan's bit about "Hamilton" true...It gave me a good laugh...






Anyways, I think I'll sign on to Disney+ and re-watch "The Mandalorian"...They don't break out into song, like  a proper onscreen fantasy land!


No comments: