Friday, September 24, 2010

Athletes and the Police Blotter


It seems we can't go a week without reading, or hearing, or seeing a story about another professional athlete getting himself in some sort of trouble...And yes, even some college athletes as well...The list of crimes and screw ups is long and varied...

Possession/use of drugs, always a smart move! Listen, I'm not going to be the guy telling anyone not smoke pot...Go ahead, spark up...But if you are some one who is going to be tested for substances randomly, maybe you should rethink things...If your out and about, you probably should stay away...One everybody has a camera on you these days...Two, Johnny law is always looking for a nice high-profile bust...DUI, seems to be a big one, and we just saw it again this past week with Braylon Edwards...You're rich enough to hire a driver, for God's sake try to use a spec of common sense...


The Jets just released this X-Ray of Edward's head...I knew something was wrong with that dolt! Plus he's on parole, so a angry Cleveland judge could easily have his ass dragged back to Cleveland to spend a little time in the Work House...I really hope so!

Assault seems to make it's way around the sports world...The classy form being the ass-hats who beat their wives or girlfriends...Those are real men there! Even better are the guys like Ben Roethlisberger who have earned the reputation for sexually assaulting women...That one didn't shock me much, him with his big, fat, Shrek looking face...I mean seriously, no one really wants to fuck him!

Then there were the crazy cases like the Michael Vick case...Plaxico Burress shooting himself...Or Ray Carruth, conspiracy to commit murder...Travis Henry and "Bam" Morris, Drug Trafficking...Leonard Little, Involuntary Manslaughter...Dontae Stallworth, DUI/Manslaughter...Hell that's just some NFL guys...Then there's the NBA, full of gun charges, rape/assault, and drug offenses...MLB, full of drug problems, the occasional DUI, and don't forget attempted murder!

Now I have a question...What is the cause of this? Is it that these dopes feel they are untouchable? Indestructible? Do they think they are above the law because they play a game well? And while I'm at it, let me piss people off and ask if it's something racial? Look at Hockey...It's 99% white and the news stories about a hockey player fucking royally, are few and far between...Is this because Hockey doesn't get the same media coverage as the other sports? That would be a good question if there was any proof showing hockey players getting arrested at a rate similar to that of athletes from the other sports...But look it up...It's just not happening...Now maybe the fact that they're better drinkers than most is a factor, but seriously, they just don't get popped for all this stuff...

So is a racial thing? Is it a socioeconomic thing? Some would say yes, because they think Hockey is a rich kid sport...Tell that to the poor blue collar kids that have made up a large part of the NHL's talent pool...So, what is it?

I'm sure some of the problem falls on the leagues, and the owners, who's number 1 priority is making money...They'll keep a guy around if he helps the team win, even if he is a piece of shit...Some blame has to fall on us fans, who have accepted this, and forgive quite easily...I love sports, but more and more the people who play them are doing their best to try and turn me off to them...I love to take my kids to the high school football games, and I loved coaching the Little Beeze's Tee-Ball team, but I gotta wonder, do I want them watching the NFL with me, and hear the commentator break down the star players legal troubles...

Do you have to be a stupid ass, dolt to play sports, or do sports make you a stupid ass, dolt?

I don't know, but I've been drinking while writing this, so I'm taking my buzzed, pontificating, ass to the couch now...

Later, The Beeze.

No comments: